Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Research: Not for the Faint of Heart.

For what should be the final English paper of my academic career, I have been trying to follow the assignment as closely as I can manage while staying within my major (Civil Engineering). Though there are not as many academic papers regarding language in the field of engineering as I had hoped, I have been fortunate enough to locate five papers that seem relevant to my topic. My topic, as dictated by the information I have found to work with, is the efficiency and effectiveness of communication and data exchange between and within engineering firms. Fortunately, this is similar to what I originally had in mind for this paper, so I have not had to adjust my thinking too drastically to conceive the outline of my ideas.

One of the problems I would say I have had with the research are the sometimes wordy and technical titles and content of the papers I searched for. I have been accused of being a wordy writer; however I don’t ever recall creating a sentence as monstrous as those I have read in these papers. That said, I am painfully aware that my struggles are the result of my technical vocabulary (or lack there of), as well as my inexperience with papers of this sort. I am not too worried, though, because with some quality time spent reading over these behemoths I am sure I will be able to comprehend the messages they are trying to get across.

My only other struggle was deciding what constituted a language related topic and therefore fell within the bounds of this assignment. In the age of technology, it seems that less time is spent relaying data by speaking and more time is spent figuring out ways to transfer massive amounts of data via internet. Because of this, many of the papers I encountered (some of which I am using) focused on perfecting the art of data collection exchange. I have (I think) managed to tie all of the ideas I have encountered together in a manner that satisfactorily meets the requirements of this paper.

No comments: